Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Sunny Side of Life









This past weekend Chris, Justice and I took a trip to Dragon's Tooth, somewhere between Roanoke and Salem, a bit past McGaffee's Knob. It was a great day! We hit the trail at 9:30am with two other groups of folks. The viking group went first (one fella had a viking helmet on), followed by an older couple and then we tried to meander our way far behind them. We passed the viking crew, as they took a break to drink their alcoholic energy drink, and then passed the older couple and found ourselves all alone on the trail until we got to the top! At the sign we are half way there. A really pretty trail takes you from the parking lot to the AT. At this junction there was a meadow in the trees that would make a perfect camping spot! We traveled up and up to where the trail turned to rocks and we clambered up passing Justice from one person to the other. He was tired. There were a few places where I was very nervous about him. But he did great.

The rock seat is us at the the top before we head over to the Dragon's Tooth.

Then a dog's eye veiw from the top.

Heading back down.

We were so glad we got there early. We headed back down somewhere around 11:30 and were met by through hikers and half of VA Tech. It would have been way too many people for us. I would say 9:30 is the latest I would start that hike. I'm sure we'll do it again next year.

No comments: