Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Welcome Home

Yesterday I was finishing up my inspections near the house, so I was able to go home straight from the restaurant. I got home early with hopes of playing Frisbee with the dogs while there was still some day light.
As I approached the house, movement caught my eye and I saw that Sidney was out and in the living room. We keep all our dogs in crates during the day while we are gone. I hurried inside anticipating piles of poop and new pee spots on the newly cleaned rug downstairs.
There was no poop, maybe some pee but I didn't look. Sidney was limping and Maynard had yet again, busted out of his crate. I chalked up Sid's limp to a little fight that might have occurred because Sid seemed fine.
Downstairs, Maynard had apparently tried to eat Sidney and Sid had attempted to escape out the window. The screen was gone again, the plant that was on the window sill was now embedded in the couch. It looked like they had knocked it over and danced on it - I guess wrestled would be more like it. Upon further scrutiny, it became apparent that Maynard really did try to eat Sidney as one leg was punctured, a foot swollen, scrapes on the head and underbelly and a nice hairless gash on the other leg.
I was horrified. This was my Sidney under attack. What if Maynard had succeeded in killing my little boy.
I have had animals hurt and while I was concerned, I have never felt actual pain and guilt at their injuries. I now know what that feels like. I can't imagine how it hurts parents to see their child get hurt.
Everyone is OK, the wounds minimal - recovery eminent. But it was scary.
Maynard is the most stubborn dog I've ever had the pleasure to know.
Sidney probably started the fight. (little dog syndrome)

No comments: